Claiming Rules

Claiming Rules

Postby Ryan00793 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:55 am

General Rule:

What is "Claiming"?
Claiming is a way to get ownership over another player's property.

What can be Claimed?
You can claim any property belonging to a player that has gone "Inactive." Inactivity is defined as follows:

- Less than 1 day of time /played: 2 Weeks = Inactive.
- Less than 3 days of time /played: 4 Weeks = Inactive.
- More than 3 days of time /played: 6 Weeks = Inactive.

- Permanently Banned with no appeal filed: 2 Weeks = Inactive.
- Permanently Banned with an appeal denied: 1 Week = Inactive.

Number of weeks refers to time since the "last seen" date when you use /playerinfo.

What can you do with a Claim?
After claiming ownership of property you may use any claimed buildings yourself or choose to demolish them and use the property in other ways. You cannot claim property just to raid its contents then abandon it yourself. You must do something with the claim, or have a plan for it.

How do I Claim something?
To claim something you must take the following steps:
1) Ask a moderator to approve your Claim Sign. The moderator will check whether the property owner is Inactive, and if so give their approval for the Claim Sign.
2) Place Claim Sign with the details listed below.
3) Wait 2 weeks.
4) Check Claim Sign. If it is still up then call a moderator to confirm the Claim. If they confirm it then you now own the property.

How do I format my Claim Sign?
Line 1: "2 Week Notice" / "2 Week Eviction" / "Claim Notice" or something of that nature.
Line 2: Date the Claim Sign is placed.
Line 3: Name of person placing the Claim Sign.
Line 4: Name of moderator who approved the Claim Sign.

Example Claim Sign:
Claim Notice
01 Apr 2012
MadDogT994
Void420

Exceptions to the Rule:

What cannot be Claimed?
Towns*, Community Structures, Infrastructure, etc. Use common sense and please don't waste moderator's time trying to claim something you obviously shouldn't.

*Claiming a Town:
Claiming a town is much more complicated than claiming a solitary structure since towns belong to multiple people. To claim a town you must take the following steps:
1) Ask a moderator to check whether ALL residents of the town are Inactive.
2) If the moderator gives approval, then place a Claim Sign on EACH building in the town.
3) Wait 2 weeks.
4) Check Claim Signs. If even ONE of the signs has been taken down by a returning resident, then all Claims are invalid. If they are all still up call a moderator to confirm the Claims.
5) This does not preclude buying property so you may want to check if the town owner or a sole active resident is willing to sell the town.

What if I go on Vacation?
If you go on vacation for more than the Inactive period you may place Vacation Signs stating that fact on your property. These signs will block any attempts to claim your property. Vacation Signs must include the following information:
Line 1: Name of Property Owner.
Line 2: "Vacation Until" / "On Vacation" or something of that nature.
Line 3: Date of Return (This must be a set date, not duration, so "05 May 2012" works, but "2 months" does not)
Line 4: Date the Vacation Sign is placed.

Example Vacation Sign:
MadDogT994
Vacation Until
05 May 2012
10 Mar 2012

It is also a good idea to tell moderators and/or post on the forums so there is additional notice that you are going on vacation. Vacation Signs should not be used for anything other than an actual vacation.

Help!?! My property has been Claimed/has a Claim Sign.

What if my property has a Claim Sign less than two weeks old?
You may remove the sign and the Claim is now invalid. You should also contact the Claiming player, or leave a sign of your own, to let them know that you are back.

What if my property has a Claim Sign over two weeks old?
If the Claiming player has NOT confirmed their Claim, you may still remove the sign to retain ownership. Because this may be difficult to determine on your own, you should contact a moderator for assistance before starting to use the property again.

If a moderator has confirmed the Claim then you no longer have any rights to that property, although you can ask the player to be nice and let you have it back or buy it back for a reasonable price from them.

What if someone is living on/using my property?
If you have been away for a while then you should first determine whether it has been Claimed. Asking a moderator and/or the Claiming player is a good first step. If it has been Claimed then you no longer have any rights to that property, although you can ask the player to be nice and let you have it back or buy it back for a reasonable price from them.

If the property has not been Claimed, and this is confirmed by a moderator, then you can evict the squatter with a moderator's help.
Saving the world from good posting, one post at a time.
Ryan00793
Site Admin

Return to Rules