Time for new mods?

Moderators: Moderators, Administrative Mods

Re: Time for new mods?

Postby MadDogT994 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:41 pm

piethingey wrote:We need mods, yesterday

This makes me laugh because we actually did get a new Mod... yesterday!!! :D

I'm sure Maldechem will be able to pick up the slack and keep us all happy with Staff presence.

You know, if he ever logs on again. :lol:
MadDogT994

Postby BirdBrainf4 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:04 pm

I am even finding out that Ubi used to be a mod, and he is very active both in-game and in forums. That is exactly what the server needs...someone who is active and passionate about VC.
BirdBrainf4

Postby MadDogT994 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:11 pm

EDIT: Not my place to talk about someone else's history. Rest of original post follows below.

It's a thankless job and when you make a mistake the entire server knows about it, so you're held to a much higher standard than your regular player. Too high at times. Honestly, there are a few major disadvantages to serving as a Mod. I'm proud I served as long as I did, but I don't know that it's something a lot of people really strive for.

With advancements in grief protection, logs and spam filters, Mods are really more like babysitters than rule enforcers these days anyway. I remember having fun going invisible, teleporting to a suspected X-rayer and following them around for a bit to see what they did. Same thing for speedhackers and thieves, now controlled by plugin protections.
MadDogT994

Postby Tautochrone » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:20 pm

MadDogT994 wrote:...though really it's been long enough in the past I think if Ubi wanted to, he could probably make a good run for it.

Unfortunately he'd have to quit THP, live by himself in the woods and limit talk in global chat in order to fit the mold.
Tautochrone

Postby MadDogT994 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:22 pm

Lol, I edited my post a bit since it's not my place to talk about Ubi since it may be a sensitive topic and all, but your post made me laugh too.

Man, the first thing I did after resigning as a Mod was go into the woods (taiga forest on v4), build a log cabin and not speak a whole lot outside of THP chat for a few months. It was actually like taking a vacation in-game, it was great.
MadDogT994

Postby Maldechem » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:49 pm

MadDogT994 wrote:
piethingey wrote:We need mods, yesterday

This makes me laugh because we actually did get a new Mod... yesterday!!! :D

I'm sure Maldechem will be able to pick up the slack and keep us all happy with Staff presence.

You know, if he ever logs on again. :lol:

I log in everyday. I just hope that you all understand i live in a different time zone than most of you. That's one of the reasons they choose me. I'm online when others are sleeping. And besides that, I work in shifts so that affects my online times too.

Only reason i respond to this now is that this is the second "joke" about me not logging on since i became a mod. So i felt the need to explain about my situation before i see more of these "jokes" rising up.
Sole inhabitant of the Isle of Perpetual Ticking
Maldechem

Postby ubiwubikanubi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:51 pm

MadDogT994 wrote:Lol, I edited my post a bit since it's not my place to talk about Ubi since it may be a sensitive topic and all, but your post made me laugh too.

I don't think its too sensitive anymore.
I was a damn good mod when I was one, if I do say so myself. Pretty sure most people know why I was laid off. For those that don't, I posted a cropped picture of some V5 discussion in Teamspeak. The post was made by myself but was posted in the Mod forums, therefore I was removed.

oh and mald helped me out last night, so he is active haha
ubiwubikanubi

Postby MadDogT994 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:01 pm

Lol, it really is just a joke, we know you're around and active mate. No worries.

People in the timezones outside the US are usually the ones who want a new Mod the most, so you fit the bill perfectly.
MadDogT994

Postby ViralVendetta » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:52 am

BirdBrainf4 wrote:I am even finding out that Ubi used to be a mod, and he is very active both in-game and in forums. That is exactly what the server needs...someone who is active and passionate about VC.

I think there's a lot more to it than activity and passion... we've got quite a number of players already that fit those two qualities.

I'm not very familiar with who Maldechem is, but I'm sure he must possess more qualities than the more popular suggested players in this thread to have been picked for the job. Just because someone is popular and well liked doesn't mean they'll be good with a mod stick. Just because someone isn't as well known or as active doesn't mean they won't step up and do a great job.

Positions of power do weird things to people sometimes. People think they can handle it but... it takes a very level head and a lot of patience. There's a lot of stress to deal with, and if you don't handle it right, you can end up losing your head and abusing your authority. I've been around enough to see it happen on VC more than once. I also have seen it a good number of times at work.

I also think that clan leaders should stay away from moderating. Clan leaders do a lot in their own right in maintaining a sense of order with their player base. Almost every clan on VC requires their members to adhere to VC policy if they want to stay involved with the group. Clan leaders also help a lot with finding ways to keep players coming back to the server... especially with the sense of community that is provided. Turning them into moderators could take away from all that, unless the clan was like the New England Patriots... meaning they already have a great baack up plan set in place. :D
ViralVendetta

Postby Tautochrone » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:32 am

ViralVendetta wrote:Almost every clan on VC requires their members to adhere to VC policy if they want to stay involved with the group. Clan leaders also help a lot with finding ways to keep players coming back to the server... especially with the sense of community that is provided. Turning them into moderators could take away from all that

Those attributes you would want the server staff to have...

How would turning them into moderators take away from all that? And what exactly do you mean by "take away from all that"? You think making them moderators would make them suddenly stop requiring their members to follow VC rules and stop them from bringing people to the server?

I don't understand your logic at all.
Tautochrone

Postby ubiwubikanubi » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:34 am

ViralVendetta wrote:Positions of power do weird things to people sometimes. People think they can handle it but... it takes a very level head and a lot of patience. There's a lot of stress to deal with, and if you don't handle it right, you can end up losing your head and abusing your authority. I've been around enough to see it happen on VC more than once. I also have seen it a good number of times at work.

I'm really not sure why people think that Moderating is such a stressful position. Thankless? yes I'll give you that. But I moderated for a good couple of months and I never found it to be stressful. The rules are written It doesn't take any work to enforce them. Discretion is always a factor, but so long as the moderator stands by the rules and is willing to make a decision, its not a difficult position. I would gladly return if given the opportunity.

Pick a person who knows the job and is willing to do it, if they're stressed they can quit, Maddog, Void, and many others have all done so.
ubiwubikanubi

Postby yourebadgetmad » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:40 am

Gogyst and Tauto would be awesome as mods. I'm not sure how super active, super involved, always logged in players would detrimental? If there really is a concern for mod abuse between groups who have histories the respective mod would just pass it to someone more neutral. They're both around all the time. Both have made their dumb mistakes in the past, but overall they're dedicated community members, and that's what VC needs for mods. Plus they're social! I'm sure Malde will be fantastic, but I'm having difficulty understanding how they could hurt?
yourebadgetmad

Postby ViralVendetta » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:48 am

Tautochrone wrote:I don't understand your logic at all.

I meant that adding moderating to their plate would take away time they had to work on stuff with their clan. Their attention would be divided between what they're doing with their group, and what they would need to take care of as a mod.

ubiwubikanubi wrote:I'm really not sure why people think that Moderating is such a stressful position

You're a bit blinded then to the inactivity of most of our current mods on VC during specific time periods... the reason people keep begging for new mods. You may have been a robot during your two months at it, but not everyone can be that way. I've watched first hand how a player can go from a very active and good natured player, to becoming a mod, to being called upon constantly for help, or thrown in the middle of arguments where both sides were friends, to logging on less and less within a matter of a couple months.

I've also seen a moderator quit being involved in leading a clan, because the duties were taking more time.

And ubi... I think highly of you as a player and member of VC... but you were pretty hotheaded in your tenure as a mod.

YBGM wrote:Tauto would be awesome as a mod. I'm not sure how super active, super involved, always logged in players would be detrimental?

I think Tauto would do great as a mod. I've mentioned as much to the staff. He's got the right amount of sarcasm and cynicism to go along with his leadership skills. BUT... I also think that THP is doing great things on the server because of him (and jolly). I'd hate to see anything take away from that.
and I hate to bring up anymore specifics... but I'm sure I'm not the only one who could think of people who are or were active and passionate that would end up failing miserably as a mod.
Last edited by ViralVendetta on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ViralVendetta

Postby Lozano37 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:19 am

who gives a shit we got a new mod stop it guys
Lozano37

Postby ViralVendetta » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:38 am

Lozano37 wrote:who gives a shit we got a new mod stop it guys

Awwww Loz its just a discussion bro... They just didn't understand what I was trying to convey... and I'm just trying to clarify is all.
ViralVendetta

Postby Tautochrone » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:28 pm

Lozano37 wrote:who gives a shit we got a new mod stop it guys

I care because when I look at the list of moderators there's still 5 of them that either do nothing or next to nothing.
Tautochrone

Postby MadDogT994 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Too much history for you and me Ubi, the trust was lost and even though it's been years, it'll never be regained. Time to make peace with that I guess. ;)

That's probably why gogyst hasn't been approached either, blood in the water and even though the players have forgiven and moved on and welcomed people back, the Staff isn't able to.

Tauto, well, I think they just plain don't like you. :P

[The above comments are meant to be taken lightly, so relax before replying with hate, k?]

Let's rebel 'til we the players get what we want!

MadDogT994

Postby walkersgaming » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:51 pm

I think we should forget about the past, otherwise we wont get anywhere.

I dont know if gogyst & Tauto are the best candidates but I think moderators from the big clans should be considered and would be for the best.
walkersgaming

Postby BirdBrainf4 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:04 pm

The theory behind a well-staffed server is to have enough ACTIVE staff to cover ALL of the 24 hour timeframe, or at least a reasonable amount of it. To do this, you need 4-5 active mods that each can give 1-2 hours minimum each day. This also does not count active chat mods, who should also give 1-2 hours each day. This ALSO does not account for the fact that those mods/staff need to be accessible, either by cell phone, or Skype, or TS, to handle in-game emergencies (I normally set up admins to be accessible via Skype/TS or cell phone text in case of emergency). This will help to monitor the server.

The thing is that almost every clan that is established in here has SOME sort of history, and we don't have a huge player database. Therefore, we severely limit ourselves to who we can choose for staff. If the players are going to move forward and try to establish a new peace, I would propose that staff would look at that and give it a whirl - try to honor this commitment.
BirdBrainf4

Postby MadDogT994 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:35 pm

I really think a change in attitudes from everyone regarding our Mods needs to take place before any kind of improvement can really be made. First, we all need to understand that first and foremost, our Mods are volunteers. They volunteer their time and energy toward enforcing the rules of the server. They "owe" us as players nothing except to fulfill the duties they volunteered for. If that isn't happening, then it needs to be brought to the attention of ryan and/or Epsilon. Of course, if part of the problem is ryan and/or Epsilon, that's a whole different level of "oh sh!t moment". I hate to disagree with Bird, it happens very rarely, but any kind of shift system may seem great for us as players but it also puts a lot of pressure on the Mods and makes it seem more like a job than a voluntary position.

Second, and I think I can speak for the Staff on this one, we as players seem to be fond of making demands and calling in expectations on a group that really has enough to deal with. We like to call out, in public, the inactivity of Staff or demand that a new player be made a Mod, or run little campaigns for Moderatorship. Really, we need to remember point 1 above, and maybe tone down the demands and public appeals. For example, if a Mod hasn't been in-game in months and hasn't been on the forums in the same amount of time, it's entirely possible that ryan and/or Epsilon simply haven't noticed. It isn't a bad idea to present that information to them either via PM or the report system. Doing so can smoothly open up a discussion or bring something to their attention that would otherwise be overlooked in public.

Third, this is a game. I can speak from personal experience that when the game and/or duties of Moderating become less than fun, it's very tough to continue playing. It's easy to say "then step down from your duties" and much more difficult to actually make that decision. After a period of time, being a Mod and playing the part of the enforcer of rules is hard to think about losing. So, you simply stop logging in for long periods of time or make yourself scarce even when you're online so you can have some fun.

Fourth, Moderating is a thankless job. If you're doing it right, chances are very good you're pissing off a lot of people in the process who are breaking the rules. If you're doing it wrong, then chances are equally as good you're pissing off people for "abuse of power" or not being active to enforce those same rules. There really is no middle ground as a Moderator, trust me. I imagine it's tough to choose a new Mod when a lot of the people to choose from have either A. lost your trust to do the job right or B. have expressed their disinterest in the position. I have to imagine that's why players like Birdbrainf4, Halberdson, Jiibrael and others are not current Mods. They simply have done it before in other realms and don't want to do it again here.

Anyway, this is turning into a major rant and the first chapter of a self help book so I'll leave it there. To make my point whole though, I do agree that some new blood on the Staff would be helpful and that a "cleansing" of sorts for inactive Moderators be looked into. I disagree that we are owed anything or that we deserve to have our "demands" met. This community is good and getting better every day, but we do sometimes need to take a step back and remember these are real people with real concerns and commitments outside of the game.
MadDogT994

PreviousNext

Return to Archived topics