Delete please.

Moderators: Moderators, Administrative Mods

Re: Delete please.

Postby Tautochrone » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:52 am

MadDogT994 wrote:I only say that you don't know what you're talking about because, well, you really, honestly, 100% do not.

Seeing as how most of the people here weren't around on v3 either, I must ask. What the hell was the point, with that mindset, of asking us in the first place?
Tautochrone

Postby MadDogT994 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:56 am

There are plenty of people who were around on v3 and saw the system in action as it was intended.

There are people somewhere around here who I'm sure don't have quite such a jaded view of it because of a few bad apples making the system seem worthless too. The OP set it up pretty well, which I now wish I could refer back to as well, that the Resident was meant to be a person who exemplified the values of VC. Whether you were around to witness the system or not, surely that's an idea you can get behind?

Obviously it failed and the idea won't progress.
MadDogT994

Postby Tautochrone » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:57 am

If we had all agreed with you 100% would you have still dismissed our views because we have no idea what we're talking about?
Tautochrone

Postby MadDogT994 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:14 am

No, and that's a ridiculous question to even ask.

Let the thread die.
MadDogT994

Postby ViralVendetta » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:17 am

I think the Resident label is outdated, and would ultimately be a pointless regression in VC's evolution...

I've personally never really agreed with recognizing people for their philanthropic views and actions. A huge part of philanthropy is that no recognition is required... and persons engaging in philanthropy for the purpose of recognition... as MadDog himself just stated in answering a concern of a different player... is not really philanthropic and does not deserve the status he or she believes has attained.

Selflessness, while in itself IS deserving of recognition, does not require or even want recognition... and often times will feel insulted by any such recognition.
ViralVendetta

Postby MadDogT994 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:21 am

Ok now that right there is actually a solid argument against bringing back Resident. If they'd all made that much sense and weren't based on what-ifs then all that above bullhocky could have been avoided.
MadDogT994

Postby Epsilon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:47 am

If you want facts, here is one:

The resident system never worked. Not in V3, not when you played not ever. You are romanticizing a rank whose purpose and existence were so vague even most people who were around when it was first introduced can't tell you what it was. It's a silly badge that players strived for in order to stand out and get the attention that they so desperately craved.
Epsilon

Postby gogyst » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:13 am

Here is another fact, the resident rank worked in v3 (at least early v3) despite what Epsilon just said above. Back then everyone got along, I don't know how but our server somehow just had incredible chemistry between players.
It was a rank people strived for and it really upped every ones behavior and willingness to help out others - even more than they usually did. A kind of badge for "I am a veteran of this server" and "ask me if you need some help".

Ever since PvP got introduced VC lost its chemistry so the whole thing went to crap. Sure with v6 things are getting better but they still need to go a long way before we can make the Resident rank stable and avoid pissing people off.
So yeah, I have to agree with the others when they say that bringing back the rank is not a good idea.
gogyst

Postby BirdBrainf4 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:37 pm

FWIW, this is a good proposal, and right now we do have players who are beginning more and more to help new players establish a foothold on the server. We can simply do this without rank, just that we don't get the privilege of /spawn and /home without cool-down to travel to new players and help them out.

BUT - I think it is a noble idea, regardless of the response it brought forth.
BirdBrainf4

Previous

Return to Archived topics