Nether Portal Bug

This is only for bug reports.

Moderators: Moderators, Administrative Mods

Nether Portal Bug

Postby Nadastorm » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:24 am

I've tried going to the nether through a portal, then when trying to come back to the overworld I get the error "Existing destination portal not found" which is odd because I went through a portal to get to the nether. I tried breaking and relighting the overworld portal but that didn't work and then I tried breaking the nether portal and couldn't because I get a region bug even though Minecraft made it and not another player.
Nadastorm

Re: Nether Portal Bug

Postby Scrumpingpup » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:58 am

I'm not sure why this happened, maybe something to do with other players' portals being an interference with your own portal, but I propose a solution. What I did was I made a portal in the overworld, divided the coords by 8, then went into the nether and built another portal on those coords. This is basically converting the coordinates, and then manually linking the portals.

"Mexico upside down is... Wexico"
- Bebeman123 while extremely high.
Scrumpingpup

Postby Tautochrone » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Scrimp is correct. Everyone is so close together on this map that nether portals are "cross wiring" with each other...so to be sure you get your own portal you have to do what scrimp said.

What probably happened is you made your overworked portal and is linked to a nearby portal already in the nether. Then when you went to leave through that portal it wanted to send you to its original overworld portal burnt wasn't lit anymore. It's common on all servers with a lot of nether portals...not a vanillacraft bug.
Tautochrone

Postby Nadastorm » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Ah, I thought it would just link you to the nearest overworld portal, false alarm folks.
Nadastorm

Postby Tautochrone » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Nadastorm wrote:Ah, I thought it would just link you to the nearest overworld portal.

It did...let me break it down for you..

-You made an overworld portal and walked through it
-Instead of creating a new netherworld portal your overworld portal linked to an already existing netherworld portal (because it was in range)
-Since that netherworld portal was an already existing portal it was linked to some other overworld portal in the area of the overworld portal you had just created.
-When you tried to leave the nether through that portal you just came into the game tried to spit you out in the overworld at that other portal (the original one somewhere nearby, not the one you created).
-That original portal is not lit so it couldnt port you out so you got that "existing destination portal not found" error message.

Overworld portals love to link to already-existing portals in the nether...it's just how the game works. But the reverse isn't true. A portal in the nether will always link to one overworld portal...and if that portal isn't working, you get stuck.

The only way to be sure that you get your own overworld portal and netherworld portal to link together is to put them literally at the same coordinates so there is no way they could "get confused" and link to other nearby portals.

To do that, do what Scrump suggested. Make a portal in the Overworld, make note of it's coordinates (for example x640, z800, y53...the Y level is very important). Then take those X and Z coordinates and divide them by 8 (x80 and z100). Do not do anything with the Y coordinate! Then go into the nether and build another portal at those new coordinates and use the same Y level. So if your overworld portal is at (x640, z800, y53) then you will need to build your netherworld portal at (x80, z100, y53). If you did your math right then those two portals should link together perfectly.

Hope this helps.
Tautochrone

Return to Bug reports