BirdBrain's Tradepost

Buy and sell things here.

Moderators: Moderators, Administrative Mods

Re: BirdBrain's Tradepost

Postby Tarkanon » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:33 pm

I'm sure you've got a solid hold on all of this, but I just wanted to pass along that Tassadar likes doing something similar with noteblocks as well. She may have some tips on how to achieve that perfect sound. She did a few songs on The Order test server (like Song of Storms from Zelda) that are perfection in Minecraft. She's created at least one on VC as well as part of Mr_Palmer's lighthouse in Avalon if you want to check it out.

It's very cool stuff, baffles me how it's all done as I'm not a very musical person at all. I played percussion in high school just so I wouldn't have to learn about notes and chords and arpeggios and such.
Tarkanon

Postby BirdBrainf4 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:49 pm

Well, some songs fit perfectly in Minecraft, and some don't. You are limited to a small assortment of sounds to work with. BUT I think we can do a good rendition. It has less to do with the sound and more to do with the rhythms. If this makes sense...1 tick is 1/10 of a second, so in a sense, you are limited to the tempos that Minecraft offers immediately. The fastest possible speed you can play at is 600 BPM, with only 1 tick gap between notes. Yesterday I did a song for THP that used a techno-type backdrop at 4 ticks gap per block (alternating between kick drum and bass guitar), which is 4/10 of a sec. Fit that into a minute = 150 BPM.

Long story short...in spite of the limitations that Minecraft offers, the tunes will be recognizable :D
BirdBrainf4

Postby Tarkanon » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:01 pm

Obviously it works best when using music like Song of Storms, the Tetris theme or music from Mario that were designed for a very simple medium, though I'm sure you'll find a way to bring forth some epic tunes.

I would love to hear a MIDI/Minecraft version of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.
Tarkanon

Postby BirdBrainf4 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:23 pm

An EXTREMELY simplified version that can be used as a loop and will be recognizable in spite of the rhythmic differences (since you are limited in MC and with free MIDI lol):

http://onlinesequencer.net/10124

EDIT - I edited it, bc it would not play the melody line.
BirdBrainf4

Postby bos34ton » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:49 pm

Check your inbox BirdBrian, I've sent a request :)
bos34ton

Postby BirdBrainf4 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:39 pm

Check yours in return, I made a loop of that intro for you. It gets a bit repetitive, but I want you to hear that, and then we will proceed if you are happy with the beginning.
BirdBrainf4

Previous

Return to Trading