Coping with Stress

Everything else.

Moderators: Moderators, Administrative Mods

Coping with Stress

Postby Astro » Sat May 09, 2015 11:09 am

Hi guys,

Me and at least Kmandy from the forums are about to do exams (which is the first proper set of exams we've ever done), and I am getting a little stressed out. Any tips to deal with stress?

Thanks. :)
Cheers lads, but I'm off.
Astro

Re: Coping with Stress

Postby Vacar » Sat May 09, 2015 1:50 pm

I finished my exams about a week ago. I had a huge amount of stress too, but I was able to alleviate it by just trying to change bad habits. My sleeping schedule was poor, I wasn't eating enough healthy foods, and I overall was just worrying about it too much - don't overwork yourself. It doesn't matter what class it is, there's no reason to study hours upon hours. If by the end you're not grasping the material then I don't think cramming knowledge into your brain is going to help. People joke about having to study 3 weeks ahead for classes and that's ridiculous. Just refresh the material by recognition. I'm sure if you've done fine up until this point just a short study session or two will be enough.

If you're in high school (college where you are I think?) then failing an exam or test will have almost zero meaning whatsoever, unless you're trying to get into like Oxford or Manchester. Basically, after you've been accepted into university all your previous grades mean absolutely nothing. I'd say worry about it enough to be comfortable, but just relax. There's a reason you've made it this far, so there can't be too much catchup to be made.

I'm sure you guys will do fine. Don't overstress yourselves!

Also, not getting a perfect mark isn't going to be as detrimental as you think. I used to be that kid that got disappointed in myself for getting B's, but after awhile you just realize that it's not that important. Some teachers are harder than others and people realize that. What's actually important is that you do a bunch of activities, enjoy life at this age where you don't have to work, and get decent grades. Summer is just around the corner.
Vacar

Postby bos34ton » Sat May 09, 2015 2:29 pm

Manage your time wisely.
I've always found working out to be a great distraction and it gets out any stress, frustration, whatever, you may have. Also be sure to get an appropriate amount of sleep, and naps never hurt either.
bos34ton

Postby Dubnium105 » Sat May 09, 2015 7:28 pm

Balance review and sleep. It's much better to be well rested and have done a somewhat less in-depth review than it is to have crammed on everything but be completely tired when you take the exam.

And I would second what Vacar says, if you're in high school (or whatever the EU equivalent of that is), perfect A's don't really matter as much as you might think; they're nice, but don't make your life miserable trying to get them.
someday when I have the time I'll replace this shitty signature
Dubnium105

Postby ViralVendetta » Sun May 10, 2015 7:38 am

Go skydiving! That'll completely take your mind off those exams! :lol:
ViralVendetta

Postby lavenaerie » Mon May 11, 2015 2:52 am

I'm about to take my finals too, and I've had to take many exams before.

I think self-care is super important during finals. It helps me not completely lose my sanity and collapse in on myself like a dying star. Stuff like exercising, eating brain foods (berries, fish, nuts, etc.), and getting more sleep can do wonders. If you feel better in general I think everything feels a lot less impossible.

If you're running out on time, don't even start worrying about memorizing every little thing. This applies to heavy procrastinators (me) who then proceed to panic when they realize how much time they have left. It will only make you upset and at best you'll probably end up with a hazy recollection of like one section of info. So, in this case, it's probably best to focus on main ideas/points. Summarize.

Music can help with stress. And while songs with words aren't supposed to be great for studying, they are good for jamming out and forgetting your problems. Classical music is best for studying, IIRC. Reduces anxiety and stuff.

Taking frequent breaks is pretty important too. Reviewing isn't useful if you're reading and simultaneously zoning out. Or, if you're determined to keep going, switch topics/subjects. Different material. Switch it up.

I know it's easier said than done, but don't stress. You'll do well :)
lavenaerie

Postby MadDogT994 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:26 pm

First, realize and accept that you're going to be stressed out for a bit. This will help you not lash out against anyone as a result. It'll also help to identify how you deal with it to begin with.

Second, and I've found this to be true with both work and school: Don't put things off. Stress is more often caused by the anxiety of a job not yet done than by the job itself. Set a goal and complete that goal to find closure. Need to study for a final? Review a section each day and don't let anything get in your way. If you skip those goals and try to cram, it's going to suck.

Third, don't let something like a final stop you from having some fun. After you finish a section, play a game for a little bit or go outside for an hour before continuing. It will help you feel like your life isn't all about the final.

Finally, you need to recognize that your stress level is entirely caused by you and so only you can reduce it. Don't blame the school, the test or your parents for it. That's not fair at all. Knowing that you control it can be effective in finding out how to reduce it.
MadDogT994

Postby Astro » Mon May 11, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks very much everyone for your tips, I feel quite a bit more confident and prepared!
Astro

Return to Off Topic